1958-D Mint Mark Wheat Back Pennies

 


Today I have one more post to make. These four wheat back pennies are 1958-D mint mark pennies. You would think that you would find a lot of late 50s dates when you hunt for pennies. But when I'm coin roll hunting I find that I usually find more from the early 50s than I do from the late 50s. I assume this is because there were less minted on those later dates.


There is a graph online that shows how many pennies were minted for each year. You can use this to find the rarity of your wheat pennies by date and mint mark.


But as you continue your hunt you will quickly realize that 40s and 50s pennies are fairly common, but 30s and 20s are much rarer. Finding 1909 pennies and teen pennies is extremely rare. I think I've found less than 30 from the first two decades of the 20th century out of hundreds of pennies I found from coin roll hunting. Don't give up though there are still millions of wheat back pennies out there in circulation, even some extremely rare coins that have mint errors.

Comments